Forward Carers is made up a group of not for profit organisations, led by Midland Mencap. We have come together with the mission of making a real difference to the lives of carers. Our aim is simple – to improve the physical and mental wellbeing of carers, young and old, including parent carers, so that families stay healthier and happier together, for longer.
We know that 1 in 8 people are caring for a loved one or dependent, this means there are over 107,000 carers in Birmingham alone. Numbers are expected to grow, with caring responsibilities affecting many of us at some point, which may mean endless juggling of care, work, family and social life.
We have been commissioned by Birmingham City Council to be a focal point for the tens of thousands of carers in the City. We have come together as Forward Carers to set up and run the Birmingham Carers Hub.
The Hub offers a wide range of services, FREE to local carers including:
- Information and advice line
- One to one support – from assisting with welfare entitlements to counselling
- Carer emergency back up service – CERS
- Training for carers
- Carer support groups
- Wellbeing provision, for some ‘me-time’ away from caring
- Out of school activities for children with additional support needs
- Signposting to other agencies who can assist carers
- Online communities through our facebook and twitter platforms.